Red Chinese Phoenix Vanity

September 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm 3 comments

Vanity after closeupOK, I’m just too sleepy to come up with a pun-y title this morning.  If anyone wants to comment with a suggested title, I’m all ears.

This article is a continuation of the article “who says vanity is a bad thing?!

Well, here it is, the big reveal!  This is the $3 yard sale vanity I adopted months ago.  I actually finished the rehab a few weeks ago, but I have such an extensive set of after photos, I’ve been putting off posting.  I plan to include a series of articles on the how-to on this one.  But for now, just the fun stuff.

I prepped the vanity by cleaning, sanding and removing all the hardware.  I didn’t bother taping off the mirror.  I just thought I would scrape off the spray paint with a razor blade when I was done, but that was harder than I thought.  The spray paint really set and adhered much better to the glass of the mirror than I would have imagined.  If I did it over again. I would insert several pieces of plastic paper between the mirror and the frame and tape them down for a clean and easy finish. I sprayed on a white acrylic primer.  It was so pretty in that stage, I wish I took a picture.  Red paint is particularly sheer, so it was important to start with a white primer to insure a bright cherry red finish.  I used Krylon Banner Red.  It was very affordable at Walmart.  I think it took 4 bottles, but there were several places where I had to refinish due to bubbling of the finish coat.   I finished with 2 coats of a high gloss lacquer spray paint.  It did bubble in a couple of places, but I think it was due to the fact that I had left it in the sun and was spraying on a hot surface.

vanity detail dragon

vanity detail topOnce the base coat of red was complete, I hand painted the Phoenix and Dragon on the top surface using watered down acrylic paints.  I sketched it out using a light color colored pencil first and printed lots of online images to inspire and create my  own compilation of the icons.  I’ll do a step by step post on that painting in a later post.  This part was so fun.  After the top was complete, I went to the paper store (see article “Papers!“) you recommended to find a red a black paper.  I found a very inexpensive toothy tissue paper with a screened kanji pattern on it that was perfect.  I decoupaged the paper onto the vertical surfaces of the unit.  This step was really fun, too.  It was so fun, I decided to line the drawer for a special surprise inside.

vanity detail decoupage

I took process photos of the decoupage, so I will post those later, too.  I painted the hardware black and hit those with a durable clear coat of glossy spray paint.  I reattached the hardware and she was ready to go!

vanity drawerI converted a country looking stool to use as a seat.  It had a great asian profile.  I’ll post about that separately.

Sadly, I left the vanity outside under my pop-up tent for one day (intending to deliver to the furniture store the following day) and a gust of wind came and knocked the tent over crushing my newly finished vanity.  The mirror is broken and two of the legs are busted.  I kind of feel like the universe does not want anyone to ever use this vanity.  It currently sits in my shed, legless once more.  I plan to replace the two broken legs with legs from the local Habitat for Humanity Restore, a great resource for hardware and some furniture parts.  But, it was a really fun project and at least I got pictures of it before it was mangled.

Vanity Before

$3 is cheap for the cost of beauty.

vanity after

Vanity After

vanity after front

vanity after front view

vanity after detail 1

vanity after detail 1


Advertisements

Entry filed under: Before & After, Refinishing Tips, Sean's Projects. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Awesome Flotsam & Jetsam Art Painting the Dragon on the Vanity

3 Comments

  • 1. ozonegal  |  November 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm

    LOVE the vanity! I bought a nappy mid-century, mahogany bar this wknd for $10 & have high hopes of making it this lovely.
    thanks for the inspiration!

    • 2. gadgetronica  |  November 3, 2010 at 7:22 am

      Thank you! If you get a chance, post a link to images of your finished project or email them to me at seanonymous@comcast.net and I’ll post here! Be sure to get some nappy before pictures!

  • 3. Stephanie  |  January 19, 2012 at 12:24 am

    I saw your re-do a couple of years ago and forgot to bookmark it. I have been spending days googling it trying to find it again and now I have so I have pinned it! You did a great job on this, it’s so beautiful. I wish my projects could turn out 1/2 as good as yours did! Awesome job!!!!

Trackback this post


receive new posts by email

Join 8 other followers

Recent Posts

NOTE: REFINISHING TIPS appear in a different color text in posts.

Thank you “Better After Blog” for featuring us!

Featured On Better After Blog

Beth's Flickr Photos

More Photos

Visitors Map

Visitor Counter


Free counters provided by Vendio.

%d bloggers like this: